Tuesday, February 7, 2006

Back to our regularly scheduled program ....

of sharing my quiltmaking.

I'll start with Sunday's purchases. My list said "plaids and stripes for borders and backgrounds" and that was it. I had two quilts in particular that I was buying for, but I'm always on the lookout for good plaids and stripes to add to the stash. As you can see in the picture I found lots of them. I did cave in and get one fat quarter bundle - a collection of old Brannock and Patek jacquard weave fabrics. (Did I spell that correctly? I don't think so!) I'm a sucker for fabrics tied up with ribbon - but it was 50% off so I figured that made it OK, right?

Notice to all you bright color lovers - you're going to think my purchases are UGLY - but I love them!I couldn't get Shadow the dog to move so I just took the picture with him in it. These fabrics were added to the stuff already waiting to be washed, ironed and put into the stash - fabrics that dear hubby gave me for Christmas plus other things I couldn't resist. Discovering Z&S Fabrics online played havoc with my resolution to buy no more "I know I'll need this someday" fabrics. I used to be safe as long as I stayed away from quilt shops - not any more. These days for Christmas and my birthday I just order what I want, hand him the unopened box to him to wrap, and then wait until the special day to see the fabrics in person. He loves it because he doesn't have to shop, and I love it because I can justify getting the fabrics want that way. (I'm SO bad!) So here are two more pictures of "stash additions waiting to be washed".

My current project is finishing my Jan Patek mystery quilt. I have all the blocks done - you can see them waiting to be set together. I like to put finished blocks on a skirt hanger in the closet as it keeps them from getting wrinkled and lost.Currently I'm cutting out all the stashing strips, which are many different lengths and widths because the blocks are many different sizes. Three of the sashing strips need stars appliquéd onto them, which is the last appliqué I need to do for this quilt. These are setting on my big board. I don't know how I ever managed without the big board. My very sweet son-in-law made it for me for Christmas a couple years ago.


I still have lots of sashing strips to cut, but have my little quilt group meeting tonight so will be appliquéing stars instead. Thought you might like to see my makeshift cutting table. It's the closet door sitting on top of two crudely made (by me) wooden risers, which in turn sit on top of a bunch of plastic cubes that I've had for over 30 years. It's tall enough so I don't ever have a backache from cutting, and it's big enough for a big project. I love it!


This is my third post for today - I think that's probably more than enough!


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh no! I want to go thru the piles of fabric and see what you bought, I know I would love them all ....so you know where to send them when you finally realize you don't have any more room for fabric!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Patti, it all looks wonderful, but I'm seriously worried about your fabric shortage...LOL..you could be taking shirts off of people if you don't acquire more...LOL. Seriously, the "new" stuff looks wonderful and you are using it...I'd say that works!!

Welcome to Mavericks, if I haven't said so before..*VBS*

Anonymous said...

Don't you know that the pictures are always better if there's a dog, or even a cat (VBG) in them!!! Shadow looks like a sweetie ... I love poodles.

Anonymous said...

What a sweetie Shadow is! Love your set up, and the pants hanger is a great idea. I love Z & S also. What great prices!

Anonymous said...

Well you know, if they are going to give you a hard time over the drab colors you can just send them my way! They are soooo wonderful! And I love your Jan's mystery quilt. I thought of doing it, but had so much going on there was no way I could start anohter project. Heck lately I can't even touch fabric I'm so busy at work!

Anonymous said...

Love your cutting board...I've often stopped in the door aisle at Home Depot and tried to rationalize bringing one home! I love washing, ironing, and folding new fabric...it's a sickness!

Siobhan

Anonymous said...

Hummmm, if I had a pile of fabric that big to wash, I might be tempted to bring it to the laundry mat and use their super big washers to get it all done quickly! The new fabrics look great. In Austria the ironing boards are a bit wider than in North America and I really like the extra width - I bet that super wide board is just a dream.

Cheers!

Evelyn

Anonymous said...

I actually like the over flowing basket - looks like a butternut & blue quilt - with a stray bit o' green!