Saturday, November 18, 2006

Somebody's Home

I have the center of Somebody's Home all ready to finish. I appliquéd the star onto the house block, and stitched the three star blocks together and onto the house block. I made the row of four patches for the other appliquéd stars, and prepped all the other appliqué. I "cheated" on the dog and used my pigma pen to ink in his eye, nose and mouth. If I feel really ambitious later I can still do them with black embroidery thread as the pattern suggests. I wanted to make a dalmation as one of our "granddogs" is a dalmation named "Leia" - after Princess Leia in Star Wars, of course. But I couldn't find anything in my stash that looked like dalmations. I have black dots on white backgrounds, but they are all totally regular in size and pattern and it just didn't look right. So this dog will have to do. All the appliqué pieces are "glued up" and ready for hand work. I finally found a shop with the tiny bottles of Roxanne's glue - the shop in Coos Bay when we were on retreat last month - so I don't have to deal with the long needle-like spout on the big bottle getting clogged up. This is the first time I've used the little bottle and it's great! I'm going to appliqué today while watching Star Trek - Deep Space 9 - Season 1 - borrowed from my kids. Then the Apple Cup this afternoon until I leave for the quilt auction. Right now I'm having a hard time deciding whether to go or not. I'd have to get out of sweats and actually dress, put on makeup, comb my hair, and worst of all - lose the sewing time I'd have this evening. I really want to go, but I really want to stay home too.

I got quite a few questions about the invisible appliqué - I'll write a post about that sometime in the next few days.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so adorable Patti! I tried to find some Rox. glue today-no luck. Now I will for sure look for the little bottles! Do you use freezer paper and glue down the fabric edges, or do you press the edges to the shiny side? I am trying to decide which method is the easiest.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh Patti, I do love your "Somebody's Home!! Just adorable! And that bag is really cute too. :)

Anonymous said...

Love the bags from this and last post-I have SO many projects on the go but , as a big bag maker, these look too juicy not too try, such a good way for my orphan blocks to end up! Also love someone's home. You are doing great stuff!

Anonymous said...

Your Somebody's Home quilt looks great. I especially like the house and dog blocks.

Anonymous said...

I love the folkart quilt and the gift bag-- almost too cute to give away!!!

Anonymous said...

I love the bags made from the blocks--good way to use those orphaned, trial blocks in the previous post. I'm behind as well.

I can surely understand the ambivalence of wanting to hurry up and get dressed for the public when you want to stay home. Especially since I was running all over AL and GA lately and NOT sewing. Still, I wouldn't have missed that time for the world with friends. BUT I've usually got another day to hit it. Retired life!

Anonymous said...

I really like somebody's home! It looks wonderful. And I have to go down and read about those bags - they look really cute!

Anonymous said...

Hi Patti!

Thanks for visiting my blog, and yes... we're "neighbors"! I'm in Astoria. I think we have a mutual friend... Robin A. in Kelso.

Your blog is packed with yummy goodness and eyecandy! I'll be back to read and see!

It's so nice to meet you too!
Monica :o)

Anonymous said...

I think I am caught up with your blog now- lovely work done as always and such progress! so? did you go to the auction? and not sew?? I am back home and already on the verge of stitching up some binding to finish up a baby quilt.
I agree-you have to keep with the quilting when the urge is strong...you can get so much done then and love it!

Anonymous said...

Those bags are really cute, I definitely need the inspiration for dealing with unfinished projects, I get bored and always want to start something new.
I can't even get myself to make a list of UFOs because I don't want to KNOW how many I have! :-l

Anonymous said...

Hi Patti! I wandered onto your site from a blog search and I am so glad that I did! Love, love, love the "Somebody's Home"...great! I am a 'near' neighbor to the south...I live in Salem. How fun to read names like Coos Bay or Astoria or even Vancouver. So many countries represent on blogger, that regional seems like a real treat! I'll be back to read, again!

Anonymous said...

I just love those bags Patti. What a great idea for orphan blocks!