Sunday, January 7, 2007

Quilters Dyslexia

I don't know whether or not there is such a thing, but if there is then I certainly have it! I think I've done as much reverse sewing on this quilt as forward sewing! Every time I go to put parts together I either have half the pinwheel in the middle of the block going the wrong way, or the solid square and the divided square reversed in the two corners of the blocks. And somehow when I counted the dark blocks I counted four extra - which of course I didn't discover until they'd been sewn all together. Right now I can't make more blocks without making more flying geese units, so I figured I'd better take a break.

Thank goodness I didn't sew all these blocks together because if you look closely you'll see they are up on the design wall differently than they were in my last post about this quilt. In examining the picture I discovered the two middle blocks in the second row and seventh row are different than the others, as are vertical blocks four and five in vertical rows two and seven. What's the difference you ask? Well, one of the half square triangles - or maybe more than one (I have to look closely again) is replaced by a solid square. This makes part of the center medallion. I'm guessing they are supposed to be green. It's really hard to tell in the little picture because my green is their orchid, which looks very much like their scrappy purples in the picture.

Lesson learned - just make the gift quilt you want to make - don't let people choose their pattern. Much easier! Or hide from sight any pattern you don't want them to choose - even if you don't realize you are showing it to them because it's on the back of something else that you saved that you thought they might want to look at!

Nancy asked about Kim's website - I meant to put it in the post but I see I totally forgot to do so. Here it is - it's called Water Pail Designs.

Well back to the machine and the ironing board - at least I should be able to make the last four blocks for the bottom right corner without too much trouble. After those are completed I be back to examining the drawing - this time, I think, with a magnifying glass!

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's sure looking like a stunning quilt, but I can only imagine the fiddiliness of it :-) hang in there....

Anonymous said...

It might be giving you fits, but it is going to be a stunning quilt -- keep at it. Sophie will be glad you did.

Anonymous said...

I can understand how you feel. Sometimes a quilt is just determined to get the best of us. Don't let that happen with this quilt. It will be stunning when it is finished.

Anonymous said...

I know it's giving you problems. Lord knows I'm not sure I'd have wanted to tackle it. But it WILL be worth all the hassle when you see that sweet baby wrapped in the quilt you made just for her.

Anonymous said...

It will be worth it all in the end but I know exactly what you are saying. Pinwheels give me a fit...they never quite go the way they are supposed to. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Rick and Rebecca...I know they'll move up!

Anonymous said...

Well it is beautiful anyway, and jsut think, Sophie is so going to love it!

Anonymous said...

I hear you about not letting others choose their own quilt. Maybe colors and fabric, but not the quilt design. My SIL wants a double wedding ring. HAHA.
This quilt is a masterpiece, and it will be stunning when it is done. Keep at it, and if it is too much trouble, keep it, and give Sophie a simpler version!

Anonymous said...

The quilt looks fabulous, as it is on the wall. I don't know if it's better or worse than the previous one, but this looks great! Yes, I think we've all learned that lesson!

I love the pincushion you made at guild, too.

Anonymous said...

It seems that this quilt will be causing you quite a bit of grief -- but when it's finished it will be a stunner!! But then it is being made for someone very special. Good luck with it.

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Talk about a labor of love....It's going to be gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Just be thankful that they did not ask for a Mariner's Compass - or Baltimore Album!

Who'd have thought that there would be so many tough spots in that quilt...

Anonymous said...

This is going to be wonderful, but I can see you need to really concentrate when you orientate the blocks :)

Anonymous said...

Lucky Sophie ! She will receive a beautiful gift when she will arrive ! Purple is not my color buthere, it will be wonderful !I have to try to use it...

Anonymous said...

Poor Patti! I agree with the others ...it LOOKS fabulous! If that makes you feel better. I don't know about the dyslexia for quilters, but I normally have to lay out all the pieces for a block next to me on my drafting table then pick each section at a time and swing it to the sewing machine. I've done this with the super small, piece heavy "Road less traveled" blocks.

Don't fret too much! You'll get it. I keep a magnifying glass in my sewing room just for looking at small patterns too!!

Anonymous said...

Well, Hello, Madame President! Cher said the other night that she was joining your guild and passing on her small group but didn't mention your status on the board.

Sophie's quilt blocks are so striking! I like the graphic, half and half look--reminds of the Massachusetts Cross and Crown that I have started from years ago pass around. I should consider pulling that out and getting it moved along one of these days. Sorry that the forward progress has been stalled out a bit with the re do's though. Murphy's Law is in effect?

Anonymous said...

Hang in there. Remember: if you cant'tell if a small block is green or purple, neither Sophie nor her parents will know if it is different from the picture they saw on the back of the magazine. By the way, there is no reason for you to show anyone the magazine again.

My brother tried to describe colors on the phone for a quilt he wanted me to make for his wife. Mostly he said things like, "No, not forest green, not hunter green. You know what green I mean." Sure. Although they were expecting a quilt with Ohio stars on point, made with 3 fabrics: green, burgundy & a neutral, they seemed very pleased with the Seminole quilt made with about 15 different fabrics.

I know the quilt will be fantastic, even if it does not duplicate exactly the one in the picture.

Anonymous said...

I'm always surprised at what pops out in a photograph that I never noticed in person. Digital cameras are super for pointing out our errors, if we'll just take the time to use them. I've got so I'll take a picture to use as a reference at the sewing table. In so doing, I've been surprised a few times by "quilter's dyslexia" myself! Beautiful work you're doing!

Anonymous said...

Patti,

I once made a quilt where I let the person choose the pattern and the fabric and I HATED IT!!, Didn't like the fabric or the design. It practically took an Act of Congress to get me to finish it.

I think you need to at least like the design and fabric in order to get through the process!

This one is a beauty! lots of little pieces!

Anonymous said...

don't give up on this quilt. It's going to look fantastic when it's finished.

Anonymous said...

Well it's a pretty amazing pattern that's for sure!! Only an advanced quilter would even attempt it! But it looks just gorgeous, so it will all be worth it in the end - it will be an heirloom quilt for sure!