Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The stitches are out

I got the stitches taken out of my finger today and all is well. Looks like I'll probably have a permanent dent in my finger now but if that's the only reminder I have I consider myself very lucky! Careful with those rotary cutters ladies!
Still stitching the binding on the postage stamp quilt - I have about 1/3 of the way around left to go. I'm happy to report I busted another piece of fabric from my stash when I made the binding - it took every scrap. I will finish stitching it on tomorrow for sure. I'll post a picture when it's done. It's been a challenge to wrap the binding around the edge with this 8 oz. batting inside, even though I cut the binding 1/8" wider than I normally do. I think I'll leave the rest of the 8 oz. batting rolls to the ladies who are tying their quilts, and will use some of my Quilters Dream poly roll int he rest of the donation quilts I do. The 8 oz. is much more suited to tying than to quilting.

The pictures today are two quilts I took out of storage for spring display. The Sunbonnet Sue was made in a class I took years and years ago on invisible machine appliqué. This was before there were any books showing how to do this. We used gluestick and freezer paper to prepare the pieces, then a blind hem stitch in invisible nylon thread for the appliqué. The green Sue in the close-up has a dress made from the scraps of a maternity smock I made myself. The finish date on the label says 1995, which is when I finished the quilting and binding. I'm guessing the top was finished at least 7-8 years before that. The Ohio star was made in 1992 for a class sample at Daisy Kingdom, and quilted in 2003. It's one of the first quilts I machine quilted using freemotion quilting on my Pfaff. The tension is far from great and the stitches are way too small, but since it's invisible thread you have to look really close to tell that. In spite of the quilting it's still one of my favorite quilts - I love the colors.

************
Gratitudes:
1. Beautiful blue sky with white and gray clouds today
2. Daffodils everywhere
3. The first asparagus of spring
4. Daylight savings time - I love it!
5. Payday tomorrow!
************

12 comments:

Kairle Oaks said...

Beautiful quilts, Patti! Those little Sunbonnet Sue's are adorable! And I love the colors in the star quilt. Looks like you're set for Spring!!!
Kairle

Suzanne Earley said...

I got the tip of a finger with a rotary cutter several years ago. I can't remember how many stitches I needed. The tip is still sensitive and is noticeably flatter than the rest of my fingers....

YankeeQuilter said...

My DH just did damage to his finger using my rotary cutter to open a bag of frozen vegetables! He can't say I didn't warn him but I nicely held my lips close together and drove him to the doctor.

Love the spring quilts!

Cynthia said...

both your quilts are just right for the Spring season.

Glad to hear your finger is okay.

Anonymous said...

Can you explain what Flimsie's & HSY's are to those of us who are new to all of this?

Libby said...

Glad to hear your finger is healing nicely. I have a divet in my left index finger, too. I certainly have a VERY healthy respect for my cutter.

Cher said...

all caught up with your blog! so many quilts and finished tops Patti, and great to hear you are getting some of your own stuff on the quilter! good for you to keep at the scrap cutting too...

Judy said...

I have the same dent from washing my new big knife and letting my hand slip off the knife and the reflex made me bring it right back up into the knife blade and slice a good cut in almost to the nail. Hardly notice it after 3 years!

Such great spring quilts!

Susan said...

You have some amazing quilts. I sure wish I had started sooner.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Pam said...

Glad to hear your finger has healed well.

They are both very pretty quilts Patti. Such pretty floral fabric, the blue and pink.

ForestJane said...

So happy your finger is better... just remember the stitches go in the CLOTH from now on, not in your skin!

I don't know what kind of layout I'd make with 7 blocks... maybe make another 7 something else and alternate them so you'd have a layout of 14? I'd be more tempted to flip a finished block over on a copy machine, and add ¼ seam allowance to the paper pieces, and make a paper template for that one more block.

Anonymous said...

Good news for your finger ! I'm so happy to hear that !
Gee, Patti, how I LOVE your sunbonnets ! These "Suzie Q" are the cutest ! Now that I see them, wouldn't they be a GREAT block idea for the next swap that Cynthia - Aussie Quilter - is proposing ? (I'm going right back to her blog !LOL) I've made a "Sunbonnet all through the year" applique quilt, the 12 blocks still have to be assembled. They're on the top of my UFO's list.....(so that I can call my dear "friend" ! LOL).

Biiiig hugs & smiles (and thanks for your inspiration, and constant encouragement ! You're a pal'!)
NADINE