Sunday, January 6, 2008

Orphan Train Quilts

I'm happy to report that I finished quilting the first Orphan Train quilt - my husband's camping quilt. I've decided to rename it "Spare Parts" because very little of it was made from actual orphan blocks. There were many more parts of blocks than full blocks - flying geese, half and quarter square triangles, strata leftovers, etc. I really like how it looks. Tomorrow I hope to make the binding and machine stitch it onto the quilt. I'll save the hand stitching for Tangled Threads meeting on Tuesday.
I need to wipe down, clean and oil Gandalf and give him a new needle before I can load the second Orphan Train quilt - my camping quilt. I've renamed that one "Leftovers" for the same reasons I renamed the other one "Spare Parts". I'd love to get "Leftovers" quilted tomorrow if possible. I'll see if my back, legs and shoulder can take that much quilting for the second day in a row.

Speaking of Orphan Trains, "They Named Me Marjorie" arrived at my house yesterday from Holly. I'm eager to read it. There was nothing in the package to indicate who to send it to after I am finished. If someone knows who should get it next please leave me a comment - thanks!

11 comments:

Bunny McCoy said...

Can I just say that I really LOVE this quilt???!!

I have so many orphan blocks (ADD Quilter I guess), but none of them seem to have ANYTHING in common. I'm not sure I can ever fuse them into ONE cohesive unit, and certainly not as wonderful as "Spare Parts", but I am inspired to at least give them another look-see up on the design wall. :-)

Good for you!

Pam said...

Love the name "spare parts"!!! wonderful name for this quilt.

Congrats on your retirement, I must say you have made me pea green with envy!!

Pam@
www.pamgwillim.com

Anonymous said...

The color choices and overall effect is fantastic; I can't believe it wasn't planned from the very beginning! Great work:)

YankeeQuilter said...

What is it with all the finishes around the blog today! We are only one week into the year...overachievers everywhere!

Love the names of the quilts. Great orphan pieces...

Siobhan

Kristie said...

I love your quilt. Scrap quilts are my favorites. It is put together wonderfully. And the names are perfect! That is something that I am not good at, is naming them.
Kristie

Terry said...

I don't know who is next in line for the book but I would love to be put on the list. I have been keeping up with the Orphan Train Quilts and would love to read it. You can email and let me know. Thanks, Terry

Libby said...

Looks great! Isn't it amazing what you can do with a few things that are just left hangin' around.

Belvie said...

I really like your quilt. Scrappy quilts seem so welcoming and cuddly and I love the name you gave it. I will have to pull out my bin with all those spare parts and try to put them together like you did. I work a lot in pastels, so I don't think mine would look as nice as yours does.

Holly said...

Marcie at http://patchalotmore.blogspot.com is the next person on the list, Patti. I'm glad the book arrived safely. I like your Spare Parts quilt. Very pretty.

Linda C said...

Good name for both quilts, Patti. I know I remodeled parts of the one that I finished too. Mine were a lot of HSTs cut from some wonky Eleanor Burns styled flying geese. I turned them into little churn dashes and I think broken dishes (or was it pinwheels?) instead. Got a big basket of ammunition for more tops. One of these days..........

Quilts And Pieces said...

Gosh your orphan quilt is wonderful!