Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A little bit of Easter

I was standing behind the door when they passed out the talent to arrange collections to enhance a decor. Mine always have somewhat of a cluttered, she just stuck it all out there sort of look. I think part of the problem is that I have too many things and they are too little to be able to arrange for truly pleasing visual impact. Oh well - no one really cares what I put out except for me, and so many of the things bring back happy memories for me. So for better or worse here are some pictures of our Easter decorations. I added some Jim Shore items this year - most everything you see has been around for over 20 years.

My favorite is the Easter egg tree - which actually has no eggs on it. I've blown and dyed many an egg over the years, but never got around to finish them with hangers, etc. So other things hang from the tree and the eggs are displayed in old Easter baskets that once belonged to Jeremy and Rebecca. I did the little cross stitch pictures shortly after we moved here - over 30 years ago now. I loved the little shop where I bought the supplies - it was like a predecessor of today's quilt shop. It closed in the mid-70's because the husband demanded half the value of the shop's contents in the divorce settlement even though he'd never stepped foot in the shop. Since Washington is a community property state Lola had to comply, so she had a huge going out of business sale. We were all so sad to see The Strawberry Patch close. Notice I used the Pinwheel Daisy top as the base - I see I need to make myself several more spring quilts.
The two big bunnies by the fireplace were made when I was making animals, teddy bears and dolls for bazaars. I kept these two for us. The blue one is made from decorator fabric. The pattern is an old Simplicity or McCalls - I don't know which. I know I gave it away years and years ago.

All the rest has just accumulated over the years as the kids grew up and decided they didn't want to keep any of this stuff. Now that they both have kids maybe I should ask them if they want any of it back. Nah - I don't think so!

12 comments:

Tanya said...

Ah, Easter decorations. Of which there are none in my house! Not that I didn't realize that it was almost Easter, it's just that I forgot that people decorate in the States! I'll have to go see what I have in my drawers. I think I used to have a bunny somewhere...

Christine said...

Thanks for the nice comments. I've just had a nice little read through some of your recent posts. Good luck with your Dear Jane and Nearly Insane quilts. Love your Easter pictures - the bunnies are so cute. Until next time, happy stitching.

Lynda said...

Decorations are so special and bring back happy memories. Yours look lovely. My husband sometimes says he would like themed Christmas decorations, eg, black and purple or pink and silver, but I say we already have a theme, which is 'Christmas down the years'!

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Love all your bunnies and easter stuff--especially the tree and the pinwheel quilt under the tree. Thanks for sharing. --Susan @ Blackberry Creek

McIrish Annie said...

Patti, I hate to admit it but I still have snowman up in my house! Having just got back from Puerto Rico, I think it's time they came down. I guess I'll skip Easter(since Sunday is the day) and head right into spring stuff.

I LOVE that you threw out your crumbs! LOL I was laughing as I read it because I know how hard that was for you to do! We all need to lose some weight in our sewing rooms. and I also like your new haircut! It will be perfect for summer.

kritterc said...

Love reading you blog and looking at your beautiful quilting projects. I noticed in your profile that we have a lot in common. I love to quilt and sew. I am a fairly new grandmother and love to sing and play the piano. I also love baseball. My sister was Sharon Hargrove's best friend growing up and was in Mike and Sharon's wedding. Hope you have a nice week and a very happy Easter!!

Teresa said...

I never think to decorate for Easter. I do miss the days of dying easter eggs and what used to seem like endless egg hunt around the house. Your decorations are very nice and I am sure your family would miss them if you did not set them out.

Terry said...

Your Easter decorations are so cute! I don't usually put out decorations. The kids are grown and out of the house (except one son of 15 years) and I don't think he cares if there are easter decorations or not. I do love looking at everyone else's though.

Linda said...

The Easter decorations are really cute and the old bunnies look great. I can relate to how you feel about your decorating. I'm afraid I'm the same way. Some people are just so talented at putting things together and it looking so cute, I'm not one of those people either. I'm on the cluttered list too! Yours do not look cluttered, they look very nice. I love the green you went with on your little quilt too. Looks great. Keep the decorations,your kids can come look at them and enjoy the memories at your house. Happy Easter, Linda

Linda C said...

Happy Easter to you, Patti. Over the years all my previous decorating areas have gotten eaten up with other things so I don't even bother to drag the Easter stuff out anymore--not that I have much to begin with. I'll just enjoy yours instead.

The best part about catching up on your posts is seeing pictures of Joseph. He is finally home with his parents after all this time. He and Sophie will grow up together and that is fantastic for all of you!

Wow, you are busy with all the Civil War blocks and will start the Dear Jane AND nearly insane blocks as well? If anyone can do it, you can!

Quilts And Pieces said...

I love the egg tree too! Thats ok, I decorate way worse than you! You look like a professional next to me!

Libby said...

Good for you for putting up the decorations . . . I'll have to live vicariously through yours this year *S*