Saturday, October 4, 2008

I'd love to have your opinion

The Halloween Quilt is finished as far as inner borders go. I could leave it this way - with just the checkerboard border - but to me it looks unfinished. So I've decided to add another border.

Here is the first alternative - what I call "dead tree" fabric. (Click the picture for a better view of the fabric.) I love this fabric - I think it goes marvelously with Halloween. It's also found three other places in the quilt - it's behind the gravestones and it's the background of the bottom two stars on the lower right. This is the fabric I planned to use. But now that I have it all laid out I'm wondering if it's too dark - that the eye is drawn to the border first and not the center of the quilt. Maybe it just needs to be a bit narrower. Or maybe I shouldn't use it at all.
My other choice is this green Moda marble. It certainly accents the quilt without drawing the viewer's eye from the center of the quilt. It's pretty boring however. But maybe a boring border is what I need. I also wouldn't have to piece this border - or worry about design orientation like I do with the "dead trees". Or maybe I should toss both of these back into the stash and look for another choice

When I was pulling fabrics to go with these blocks I found this panel that I'd completely forgotten about. I love it - I think I need to make some Halloween pillows for the couch and the entry bench. Don't you agree?

16 comments:

Raedene said...

The Halloween quilt is perfect just the way it is. The borders take away from the blocks. Perhaps, the binding would frame it. And, that is my opinion for what it is worth.

PiecefulChaos said...

I vote for the black 100%

Irene said...

I vote for the black 'dead tree' fabric. It's a wonderful choice for a Halloween themed quilt and I think it frames the blocks beautifully.

antique quilter said...

MHO
the black,
it just makes the inside pop . It pulls the quilt together.
I do not like the green at all :)
pillows, great idea!
Kathie

Anonymous said...

Dead trees! I love them with the Halloween themed quilt.

erica e said...

the black is hands down the winner here! it is great and doesn't draw attnetion away. go for it.

Elaine Adair said...

Yes, it needs a border, I believe - the checks just keep on 'running out' to ???. The black is my vote. BTW, it's pretty cute!

Anonymous said...

Blkack. Absolutely.

We don't really 'do' Halloween in Australia, but it's a dramatic sort of holiday and the black suits that perfectly.

swooze said...

How about a thin border of the green or an orange and then the dead trees??

Quilter Kathy said...

I vote for the dark border...it's a great frame!
Congratulations on the new baby!

Kim W said...

I'm not sure I would use either of the boarder fabrics you have pulled. Take another look in your stash or come over to my house and see if you can find anything.

Kim W

Jeanne said...

The dead trees would be my choice. It's a great quilt, Patti.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I say definately dead trees! It really frames it well. How cute!

Melzie said...

DEAD TREES for sure! Love this btw ;) xoxo melzie

quiltmom anna said...

Patti,
I think that the black is a great border for it. The Halloween quilt is very fun and will be a fun thing to add to your decor.
What great panels for pillows - there are really cute things out there for Halloween.
Will you spread the items around the house or have them in just one area?
How's that cute new grandbaby and how is Joseph?
Regards,
Anna

Sunny said...

I vote for the black also. It is just perfect. Great work on this. It is *sew* perfect. The panels would be great for some throw pillows.