Sunday, December 28, 2008

My first quilty goal for 2009

Remember these round robin blocks? I posted about them during my second month of blogging. I loved the blocks, but needed to figure out a way to tie the blue block in the upper left corner to the other blocks. I read everyone's suggestions and pondered all the ideas. I finally tucked it away into a drawer. It resurfaced several times this year when one of my goals was for as many of my unfinished tops to become finished flimsies as possible. I achieved that goal, with the exception of several long-term applique projects. Except for this set of blocks. The last time I got it out I took out the basting stitches in order to remove the blocks from the round robin grid, and took the two bear paw blocks apart. I played around with them a bit and then put them away in a drawer once again.

My design wall looked too bare after the double four patch was removed - I needed to fill it with something. So I removed these from the drawer and started playing. Suddenly I think I may be getting somewhere. This is the first time I've found an arrangement that's started to please me. I always knew I'd have to add some filler strips and a few more blocks. I decided the blue block would make a marvelous label for the back, on which I can list who made which blocks. I'm starting to get inspired.
So . . . my first quilty goal for 2009 is to make this into a finished top by the end of January and a finished quilt by the end of March. Doable? I think so!

6 comments:

swooze said...

Great idea! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Julie said...

Good idea for the blue block. It is lovely, but just doesn't "go."

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Great blocks Patti. I cant wait to see it all finished.

Tine said...

This new arrangement is looking great! The blue block doesn't go with the rest, I agree. Too bad, it's really pretty!
Can't wait to see what you will make to fill out the blank spots :)

It'll be so wonderful to have this finished. Good for you!

Juliann in WA said...

Those blue blocks look like they need their own quilt. Seems like a differnt season. BTW - how many activity points for shoveling the driveway?

Susan said...

That sounds like a good plan. I am looking forward to seeing it done.