Sunday, January 18, 2009

The building is finished

We have spent about 1 1/2 days of putting together IKEA furniture - having to deal with a few glitches along the way - and now the building is finished. It's been a long time since I've stooped that much! With help from my DH, and lots of help from my friend Kim, as this is definitely a two person job.

The biggest glitch concerned the casters for the feet of the ironing station. After a total of two trips to Lowe's, one trip to IKEA, and three trips to Home Depot. we finally found casters that worked. I guess one shouldn't decide to put casters on a piece of furniture that isn't meant to have them! The good news is that I finally found some that worked, and Fred was able to install them on the legs of the ironing station. All that's left now is to return the 4 I bought at IKEA, as they didn't work at all. What I thought was drilled holes for casters turned out to be holes for leveling legs, and all the casters fell out the first time we tried to move it!

Now all that's left is cleaning up, moving my stuff into the cupboard and drawers, and making a padded cover for the ironing station. I can already tell that I'm going to love this!

14 comments:

Kim W said...

Looks great! Glad you were able to finish it today. See you in the morning.

antique quilter said...

thats a wonderful ironing station, oh no now I want one too!
I can't wait to move to be able to set up my sewing room for me!
think we are going to have to buy some cabinets for my plaid stash, which somehow has grown the past 6 months or so!
hard to work out of baskets.
Kathie

Tazzie said...

Wow Patti, it all looks wonderful, I'd love to have something like that for myself!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Carol said...

Patti it is absolutely awesome! What a wonderful ironing station.

Darlene said...

The ironing station is perfect - you are going to enjoy it so much!

I especially love the tall drawer units - may have to check into owning one of those as I can see so many possibilities.

Juliann in WA said...

What a great addition to your work space. Now I just have to ask. In the first picture, there are some notebooks on the lower shelf that say Quilting is my Passion- blog. Have you printed all of your posts? Just wondering because I have thought about doing this too.

Winona said...

Great Patti. I love how it turned out. We never work on anything without several trips back to town. LOL Have fun with you new sewing area. Winona

Fabricmom said...

What a lovely space. Congrats. I am jealous.

Susan said...

Looking good...........

Karen said...

I love the quilt in your header. Any quilt with circle type design interests me.

Jo Morton said...

Hi Patti,
Maybe my first message went direct to you.
I LOVE your ironing station with storage - so why hasn't this idea become mainstream? It is the 21st Century! Thanks so much for the inspiration!
Jo
this isn't working for me - ackkkkkk

Jo Morton said...

Well, after I tried another ID and password, my comment was sent - sorry about the last ackkkkk

Some days computers drive me nuts, but most days I love them!!!

Thanks Patti!
Jo
who made a sticky note to remind me of the identity and password for Blogger

Ulbins said...

It looks like everyone is getting organized over the weekend.

I love IKEA, but hate putting the pieces together. It's always nice to have someone to help with it (and a glass of wine if possible).

I love to see that you mentioned LOWE'S first (then IKEA, then the other place h*&^ dep#$@).

Maggie A said...

Oh, this is so, so organised! Just great ironing station.