Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Back once again

I was so glad to be back blogging, and now I disappeared again for a few days. I either had a bad relapse of the bug I was fighting or I caught a new virus, as I've been pretty sick since Thursday. The past week has been rough for most of our family - most everyone seemed to have some sort of relapse. All the adults that is - Joseph has been just fine.


I really didn't feel like sewing for several days. I had such hopes of finishing the applique on the second Heirloom Stitches border, but it didn't happen. I finally felt like sewing again a couple days ago, and that's when things started to happen.

Today I finished that second border, so I sewed the first two onto the Heirloom Stitches center. I took the feathered star off the design wall so I could get a good picture. I'm so happy with how this has turned out! The applique is simple, except for all those big jagged leaves. The other two borders are basically the same. I sure hope they can be done by the end of this month.

I headed back to Primitive Thimble in Battle Ground to find some new reds for the feathered star. Even though things are really picked over - not much left due to the moving sale - I found some nice things. So I washed and pressed them today, so they are ready and waiting to be cut into outside setting triangles. While the quilt was off the design wall I sewed the first part of it all together. Amazing how doing that little makes the goal of a finished top so much closer. I wanted a primarily red and brown quilt when I first started this one, so I'm thrilled you all encouraged me to stick with that decision. It's now pinned back onto the wall, with other four finished blocks pinned into position. Tomorrow I hope to start prepping those last four center blocks. You may notice that the lilies are now growing rightside up instead of sideways. Jan's original design has them sideways, but I decided I wanted mine growing the way God intended them to grow!

This is the first time I've rolled the new pressing station into the hall so I could use the full design wall. It worked just as well as I hoped it would - except for the fact that I can't roll the cabinet myself. No matter - that's what sweet, understanding and caring husbands are for!

18 comments:

Barb said...

I decided I need a design wall, but where???? I love that quilt...you are taking such care with it. Hope you get over that bug once and for all.

Lily Mulholland said...

Patti that's going to be one spectacular quilt. Hope you are all recovering nicely!

Janet said...

I'm loving this quilt. I'd love to do a sampler like this, DH just walked past and said he loves this quilt! The Jan Patek quilt is coming along very nicely too. Wonderful and productive work.

Carol said...

Patti your Heirloom Sampler is just spectacular...I love how the Feathered Star is developing...the lilies are wonderful growing up!

Mary L. said...

What a awesome quilt! Love it! Stay well now.

Jeanette said...

Wow, both of those quilts look amazing!

Libby said...

Glad you are feeling better.

I am just in love with your feathered star!

Crispy said...

Wow the Heirloom quilt is wonderful. Do the border flowers point in, all the way around?

I too like the flowers pointing up, looks more balanced. I'm looking forward to future pictures as you progress on this beautiful project.

Crispy

Jeanne said...

This is a gorgeous quilt! Glad you are feeling better and able to blog, sew, and share.

Carrie P. said...

Design walls are a must. And those quilts on your's are gorgeous! Hope you are feeling better.

Chocolate Cat said...

Do hope you are feeling a little better now. Thank goodness Joseph didn't get sick again. It is lovely to have you back.

Kim W said...

Both are turning out nice.

Nicole said...

Amazingly gorgeous!

cityquilter grace said...

WOW, Patti! What a diff in the feathered star! it's simply gorgeous and so much more like you, I think.. and the heirloom stitches is just that, an heirloom, beautiful....love them both...

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh your heirloom stitches is gorgeous! I had a bad case of bronchitis and emily has the flu so we have all been sick in our house the last 2 weeks too. No sewing here either!

Janet said...

I love your Heirloom Sampler quilt! The pieced blocks, the applique, the borders... they look so great together.

Teresa said...

Hope that bug has left you for good. Your quilts are all so interesting in their block designs and layout. Very nice!

Carol E. Loessel said...

Your Heirloom Stitches quilt will be stunning when it is finished. Which lucky person will inherit this quilt? An amazing amount of work has gone into it! Looks like fun, though!