Monday, March 25, 2013

I got to sew today!

It seems like so long since I sat at the machine to sew.  It felt so good to accomplish something today, other than finishing ironing my fabric purchases, even if it didn't amount to very much.

I cut dozens of 2" x 6 1/2" strips from the Civil War Diary sashing I bought on Friday, and then sewed the first row together.  I love the way it looks spread across the top of the design wall.  ( I should have cropped the picture, but I was eager to get today's post written.)  If you enlarge the picture you can see the blocks much better.


  The close-up shows the first two blocks of the second row.  I need to decide on fabrics for the corner stones next so I can sew the between-rows sashing.  I still have lots of blocks to make, but this makes me feel that a quilt top can't be THAT far away.


After dinner I gave myself permission to start a new project - a small one - as a reward for all the UFO work I did the last 6 weeks.  The quilt I chose is called "Bittersweet Stars", and is from year 9 of Jo Morton's "Little Women's Club".  The quilt finishes at 13 1/4" x 17 1/2".  The tiny blocks, which are set on point with alternate plain squares, finish at 3".  They are lots of fun to do, but make the CWD blocks seem huge by comparison!

All the pieces are cut out, and I'm working on the "hourglass" star points.  I had to finish one block, however, so I could see what the quilt will look like.  I think I like it but I'm not sure. Do you think the alternate squares are too dark?  Maybe I need to finish more blocks before decide.  What do you think?  Do you think they are too dark?


It's 11:13 pm - I wish I could sew more blocks instead of going to bed!

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *
 Gratitudes:

1.  Leftovers for dinner give me more sewing time.
2.  A perfect spring day - warm, blue sky with clouds, and flowers blooming everywhere
3.  Hot cocoa with whipped cream on top.

1 comment:

sewkalico said...

I think you need more blocks before you can decide if it's too dark. It is a lovely fabric, but if you're unsure then maybe try some others.
Glad you got to sew! I need a some proper sewing time too!!